Monday, September 18, 2017

Sunday Art Inspiration

My son has been mountain-biking for over a year now.  That means that I spend a lot of time at various parks hiking while he mountain bikes with his team.  That is great for me because I love being outdoors in any kind of weather.  I find that being outside inspires me continually.  I see things and it is almost like it goes in a file cabinet in my brain to recall when I need inspiration.  I find this especially true on cold, dark winter days.  Sometimes I think that those memories are what get me through winter.

I thought it would be nice to share images that I took on Sunday as I hiked close to 6 miles in Pocahontas State Park in Chesterfield County, Virginia.  I had never been there before and I won't make it my last visit.
Light reflecting off of leaves is something that I find myself over and over again taking pictures of or just staring at.  Sometimes it's trying to figure out all the different colors of green that I am seeing.  Or it might be how the light shines on certain leaves almost making them turn white.  How the limbs of trees intersect each other and the designs they create entertain me.


Being outside in nature relaxes me in a way that nothing else does. I don't feel anxious at all being by myself even if I am miles away from the nearest parking lot or road.  My senses are more in-tuned with what is around me.  I feel comfort being there at that moment.

Sometimes I fantasize about hiking the whole AT.  I would love to have my body synchronize to the light.  I would love to wake up in the early morning and go to sleep when it's dark.   Most of all I would love to experience everything that the Appalachian Trail has to offer me as an artist.  More things to file in my file cabinet in my brain.

Thanks for reading my random thoughts,



No comments:

Post a Comment